SHAKESPEARE & ME
All programs are FREE
Workshops, performances, coaching, & scene studies for Santa Barbara County Public Schools, Grades 3 - 12. Sponsored by UCSB Humanities & Fine Arts & the Bren School and in association with the Department of Theater and Dance. Questions? Email <email@example.com>
ACTING SHAKESPEARE - click to view workshop video
In-class workshops, grades 3 - 12
- Workshops complement your curriculum
- General introduction to Shakespeare’s theatre and / or
- Specific focus on plays on your syllabus
- Useful way to introduce a Shakespeare studies unit
- Interactive workshops invite students to explore personal connections to Shakespeare’s language & stories
- Single visits or extended residencies, up to 10 weeks
- 30-90 minute scripts edited to suit grade level & size of class
- Highly inclusive: affirms students’ multiple intelligences
- a role for everyone, not just strongest readers
MASTER CLASS / REHEARSAL STUDIES
Heather Stanford can visit an acting class or rehearsal studio to coach students for your school’s productions.
FREE TICKETS FOR UCSB School Matinees
- Schools matinees include post-show discussion with cast & director
- Preview visits to schools - please indicate interest when booking seats
School Matinee schedule for Winter / Spring 2019:
- The Watsons go to Birmingham-1963, directed by Risa Brainin 15 & 22 February, 11AM (runtime ~ 90 minutes), seating is limited so reserve early!
- The Laramie Project, directed by Eric Jorgensen 8 March, 10:30AM (run time ~ 120 minutes)
Available February, April, & May: UCSB actors bring Shakespeare scenes to your school. Using your students’ feedback, the actors rework scenes on the spot, demonstrating that there is more than one way to play Shakespeare.
Shakespeare & the Language that Shaped a World
Available 28 April - 2 June: UCSB actors perform Shakespeare scenes & monologues woven together with information about his life and theatre in a fast-paced blend of low comedy and high tragedy. Runtime can be adjusted to your schedule - 30-50 minutes. Suitable for all ages.
“ALL THE WORLD’S A STAGE”
Workshops & Residencies for grades 3 - 6
Residencies can consist of a single visit, in which the class will explore either Shakespeare’s theatre generally or one play in particular, or a multi-visit residency, in which the class may create a performance project.
UCSB faculty member and Shakespeare & Company teaching artist HEATHER STANFORD will conduct teacher development workshops in your schools, exploring new ways of bringing Shakespeare’s plays to life in the classroom as well as the rehearsal hall.
Questions? Contact Heather Stanford - firstname.lastname@example.org